What is Kundalini Yoga?
Kundalini means “the curl of the lock of hair of the beloved” this metaphor describes the flow of energy that is released from the base of the spine, this energy exists in everybody however it is normally in a dormant state. Though practising kundalini yoga we awaken the energy to release the creative highest potential in one self.
Kundalini yoga comes from the highest form of Yoga, Raj yoga (the royal yoga) it encompasses the 8 limbs of yoga into a single practice.
1.Yama – Ones ethical standards, how one behaves and lives life:
1. Non harming (mental, physical & emotional,
2. Truthfulness ( live and speak the truth)
3. Non stealing ( not to take anything that was not given freely)
4. Continence (control over physical impulses)
5. Non-coveting (not to be greedy with possessions)
2. Niyama – Self Discipline and Observance
1. Purification (cleanse the mind and body)
2. Contentment (feeling gratitude for what we have)
3. Asceticism ( Self discipline even though we may not feel like it)
4. Self Study (to see life’s lessons and ability to learn from mistakes and grow)
5.Devotion (to trust and surrender to the higher power)
3. Asana- Yoga postures, taking care of our physical body for our spiritual growth
4. Paranayama – Controlling the breath, recognising the connection between breath, mind and emotions
5. Pratyahara- Detaching from the external world and directing our awareness internally, observing one self.
6. Dharana – Power of concentration, focusing on a mental object, energy in the body or repetition of sound.
7. Dhyana – Meditation, a state of mind which is free of thoughts
8. Samadhi – A state of ecstasy, pure bliss at being one with the universe.
Kundalini teachings were bought to the west by Yogi Bhajan in 1968 He realised that people were looking in the wrong place to find themselves, they were turning to drugs and sex. He wanted to show them that what they were trying to find was not in external things, but something that we already had inside us. It just needed to be awakened.
“Kundalini Yoga is simply the uncoiling of yourself to find your potential and your vitality and reach your virtues. There is nothing outside, everything is you. You are the storehouse of your totality.” Yogi Bhajan